The Czech Republic
In the summer of 2000, MVCC sent a small team to help out with an evangelistic English camp partnering with Josiah Venture (http://www.josiahventure.com). Connections were made, people responded to the Gospel, and our hearts were knit together with the people of the Czech Republic. The need for the Gospel in Czech is significant; communism had a significant stronghold and produced a nation that is profoundly secular and quite skeptical of religion. Some would say that Czech is the most atheistic country in the world, and the evangelical church is almost non-existent. One half of one percent in a country of 10.5 million people call themselves evangelical Christians.
We continue to send teams over in the summer, and we continue to see fruit from the English camps and people getting plugged back in to local churches. Though we continue to love the summer outreaches through Josiah Venture, God burdened our heart with the need of a healthy church planting movement that would be committed to making disciples and planting churches. As we began to pray toward this end, God connected MVC to a significant leader in the Czech Republic – Daniel Hurta. Daniel felt a burden to plant a church in his city, Vsetín. MVC and the Crossway Chapel Network of churches were able to support Daniel and provide resources and encouragement to see this church planted. In 2006, Maják (Lighthouse) Church was planted in Vsetín. Over the years, Maják has grown from a tiny church plant to a strong and healthy church in the Czech Republic. They have seen many people come to faith and have been very committed to developing leaders. Maják has started to plant and partner with other churches to develop their own church planting movement in the Czech Republic called the Maják Network.
MVCC has continued to invest in this work in the Czech Republic through providing financial resources, encouragement and coaching, sharing resources, sending over summer teams for evangelistic outreaches, and sending over people for internships to teach English and serve the mission of the church.
Currently, the Maják Network contains the following Churches:
• Maják (Light House Church - http://majakvsetin.cz (Vsetín, Czech Republic – planted 2006)
• Metro Olomouc (Olomouc, CZ – planted 2011) - http://www.metroolomouc.cz/
• Kostel Jinak (Šumperka, CZ – adopted 2013) – http://www.kosteljinak.cz
• Velká Lhota – (Adopted 2014)
Are you interested in learning more about the following opportunities:
• 3 Month Internship – Spend three months serving Lighthouse church by teaching English and serving the youth group, etc. Click here to learn more. If you have questions or want to talk about the internship more – click here.
• Summer English/Sports Camp: Every summer we send a team to share the Gospel as we teach English and Sports. This 2.5 week summer trip will change your life and bless them tremendously. If you are interested – click here.
Watch more about the story of the Czech Republic: