Cultivating daily, life-changing intimacy with the savior
Beware of Checking Boxes
Cultivating intimacy with Jesus is not a box to be checked along with all the other responsibilities of a busy day. If we pursue it in this manner, we will likely be drawn into one of the following dangers…
- Doing an activity out of duty (ie “having a quiet time) without any engagement of our heart
- Getting frustrated because of a lack of consistency and then giving up
Sitting at the Feet of Jesus
Cultivating intimacy with Jesus is an issue of the heart. Jesus said the following about the religious people of His day: “This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far away from Me.” (Matthew 15:8) We have a great example in Mary of one whose heart was engaged as she drew near to Jesus. Read about her and her sister, Martha, in Luke 10:38-42. We can all identify with Martha in this passage (buried in busyness), and we all long for the experience of Mary. Notice that Mary “chose” the better part by seeking intimacy at the feet of her savior.
Cultivating Intimacy thru God’s Word
God has revealed Himself to us through the pages of scripture. As you seek to cultivate intimacy with Him, learn to “look beyond the ink and into the face of God” by asking the following, simple questions…
- What do I learn about God in this passage? What do I learn about myself?
- What is God teaching me?
- What difference do these truths make for my day?
“Jesus, do you have my heart today?”
As you draw near to Jesus, let this be your yearning. Here are some heart issues to bring to the Lord in prayer that will help you to draw near and experience intimacy with Him…
- Affirm Your Trust in His Character – Remind yourself of one thing that is true about the Lord, and cling to that truth by faith. Express your love to Him for all He has done for you through the gospel and for His faithfulness each day.
- Cast Your Anxieties on Him – The worries of the day are likely a distraction for you to truly experience His presence. Cast them on Him (1 Peter 5:6-7, Philippians 4:6-7) as He doesn’t ask us to bear them on our own anyway.
- Acknowledge Your Dependence – Casting your cares on Him is a great way to remind yourself that you need the Lord’s grace, strength, and perspective for this day. Acknowledge that His grace is sufficient for all you will face (2 Cor. 12:9).
- Yield Your Agenda to His – Jesus is the ultimate example for us in this matter (John 6:38, Matthew 26:39). Rather than striving to control your world and circumstances, how freeing it is to surrender to His purposes for your day. Tell Him that this is your desire as you draw near in prayer.