Engaging Our World
Each person proactively bringing the Gospel into their sphere of influence with word and action.
The Master’s Mission is Our Mission
In Luke 19:10, we are told that Jesus came to “seek and to save that which was lost.” He also said that He was like a physician, who came to seek out those who were sick – which means He came to call sinners to repentance (Luke 5:31-32). Before He ascended into heaven, Jesus gave us this same mission when He told us to “go therefore and make disciples of all the nations” (Matthew 28:19-20). Do you live your life as though you are on mission for the master?
Are You Qualified?
According to 2 Corinthians 5:18-20, being on this mission means that we are representatives of Christ. We now represent Him at all times, everywhere we go. Or, as 2 Corinthians puts it, we are His ambassadors. Sounds like a big role, but are we qualified? If you are a Christian, you have been reconciled to Christ, or brought back in to a right relationship with Him. Because you have been reconciled, you are now qualified to call other people to be reconciled to Him. How well are you representing Jesus to your sphere of influence as His ambassador?
You Have a Transformation Story!
If you are a follower of Christ, you have been transformed! You are now a new creation; the old things have passed away and new things have come (2 Corinthians 5:17). This means that you have a story to tell about the transforming reality of Jesus to others. Are you living and sharing this transformation with those God has put in your life?
Giving People a Close Encounter
Matt. 5:14-16 reminds us that we are the “light of the world.” We are told to “let our light shine before men in such a way that they may see our good works, and glorify our Father who is in heaven.” This verse assumes two things about us. First, we are shining the reality and love of Christ to others by our words, actions and deeds. Second, we are in close enough proximity to people for them to see the light shining. Are people having a close encounter with Jesus through their interactions with you?
Reaching Out in Community
Jesus said that “by this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:35). One of the best ways to impact the world around us is to let them see the love we have for each other in action. How could you reach out to those in your life by including others in the body of Christ?
Engaging Our World with the Gospel
As Christ’s ambassadors, the message that we share is the message of the gospel…
- Man’s Need – Apart from Christ, all people are sinful and our sin separates us from God. Because of our sin, we are subject to and deserve God’s judgment (Rom 3:23).
- God’s Provision – Jesus Christ is God’s only provision for man’s sin. He came to bear the penalty for our sins so that we might be forgiven, restored to a right relationship with Him, and given the gift of eternal life (Rom 6:23).
- Salvation is by Grace, Through Faith – We can do nothing to earn God’s favor. It is given as a free gift of God’s grace. The merits of Christ’s work on the cross are only laid hold of by faith, which is to believe in the absolute trustworthiness of the claims of the gospel so as to entrust one’s whole life to Jesus (Ephesians 2:1-10).
- Call to Faith – Upon hearing the good news of the gospel, people should be called to turn from their sin and to trust in Jesus Christ through faith for their salvation (Acts 16:31).
Staying Mindful of Your Mission
Here are some great passages to meditate on that remind us of the mission entrusted to us…
- Matthew 4:19, 5:11-16, 28:18-20
- Luke 6:27-32, 15:1-7, 19:1-10
- John 17:18
- 2 Corinthians 5:18-20
- 1 Peter 2:9-12, 3:15