Nepal Child Sponsorship Program
In 2015, Mountain View Community Church was able to launch a long-awaited and prayed for child sponsorship program in partnership with our sister church in Pohkara, Nepal. While the program will provide these children with some of their basic needs and education, the program is designed to reach these children with the hope of the Gospel and further the work already started by the elders at Binay Church. The program helps provide the means for these children to receive an education, help them with hygiene education, and teach them about Jesus Christ. For more information about the program, which the video above and see the Background Information and FAQ's below.
- Average annual income in the area is $472/year. Nepal is a very poor country where a lot of the children must leave Nepal in order to find work and help support their families. The kids are in the poorest region of Nepal.
- Nepal faces nearly 70% unemployment.
- Nepal is a predominantly Hindu country, with only 0.5% being Christian. Recently, extreme Hindu radical groups have increased their persecution of the church.
- Only 27% of people have access to basic sanitation - the rest rely on streams and rivers for bathing and drinking water.
- The Chepang people group where we are sponsoring children have no running water in the villages - they all use water from the river.
- About 44,000 children under 5 die each year from waterborne illnesses and food contamination.
- Many Chepang children lack adequate clothing and food as well as education.
- There are 3 churches in the Chepang region… it is very mountainous so people walk to church. All of the churches are very poor but very alive spiritually.
- How long does the sponsorship last? The commitment to sponsor the child is for 1 calendar year. In the fall, you will be given the option to commit for the following year if you would like to continue to sponsor the child.
- How much does the sponsorship cost? The sponsorship costs $30/mo. We ask that all sponsors setup monthly auto-pay through CCB. Click here to find directions on how to setup the auto-pay on CCB. If you have any questions about setting that up, use the button above to contact us.
- Can I pay for the full year of the sponsorship program all at once? Yes, you can pay for the full year of your sponsorship up-front. The total cost for the year is $360. Please use the button above to contact us if you would like to do this so that we can give you details to make sure the money goes to the right account.
- What if I’m unable to continue to sponsor my child during the year? We do ask that you make a commitment to sponsor the child for the upcoming year. Therefore, if you feel that you aren’t likely to be able to fulfill the commitment, we ask that you don’t make the commitment at this time. You could add your name to the list to be notified about future children that become available (use the button above to express your interest).
That said, there may be unforeseen situations that come up that prevent sponsors from continuing with the program. In such cases, we will work to find a new sponsor for the child as quickly as we can.
- Do I get assigned a kid or can I select a kid? You can choose from the available children or we can choose one for you.
- What will the money be used for? The sponsorship program helps with:
- tuition / school fees,
- school supplies,
- some food & medical assistance,
- basic hygiene supplies and education,
- and Biblical teaching.
- A portion of the money will be used to help cover administrative costs in Nepal of the program.
- Who are the kids and how are we connected to them? Pastor Chitra from our sister church in Pokhara is the lead on this project. He has been investing in relationships in this village for over 5 years. The children were hand picked by the elders of the church in Pokhara for this opportunity to be sponsored.
- Why is MVC doing this program, why Nepal and why don’t I just sponsor through an organization like Compassion? The main reason we are doing this program stems from our existing relationship with the church in Pokhara. This has been a vision of the pastors at Binay Church for many years and recently all of the pieces have come together for this program to take life. Mountain View Community Church has no intention to create a program to compete with an organization such as Compassion and many families at MVC sponsor children through these organizations. However, many of these agencies do not operate in Nepal because of restrictive government regulations. This is an opportunity for people at MVC to meet the practical needs of these children and support the work of the Gospel with our sister church in Pokhara.
- How much can I communicate with the children? We will work out the specifics as the program goes on, but there will be opportunities to communicate with your child. We'll plan to have periodic updates for the program overall, and have special opportunities to communicate (sending a family picture, etc).
- Will I have the opportunity to meet the child? Currently we don’t have any specific plans for sponsors would meet the kids. However, through our partnership with the church there, we hope that sponsor families would have the opportunity to meet their sponsor child should they desire to travel to Nepal and do so. We do also send people to Nepal to provide English Camps and to help support the church there which could provide further opportunities to meet your sponsor child.
- How can I learn more about our partnership in Nepal? www.mvcchurch.org/nepal